WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

About Abuse

In the Workplace

Updated: March 29, 2021

Can I file a complaint with the government? Can I sue my employer?

If you believe you have been a victim of sexual harassment, one of the options you may want to look into is filing a charge of discrimination with Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). In certain circumstances, an individual, organization, or agency may file a discrimination lawsuit against the employer on behalf of the victim to protect the victim’s identity.1 There are time limitations for filing a charge but the time limits vary depending on a variety of factors. To read more, go the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) website’s page called Time Limits For Filing A Charge. You can also contact your state’s Office of Civil Rights, Office of Human Rights, or Fair Employment Office - the name may be different in each state.

To find out if you can sue your employer, you can find legal resources in your area by going to our Finding a Lawyer page and choosing your state from the drop-down menu.

1U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) website