WomensLaw sirve y apoya a todas las personas sobrevivientes sin importar su sexo o género.

Información Legal: Dakota del Sur

Restraining Orders

Ver Todo
Leyes actualizadas al 28 de noviembre de 2023

Do I need to tell the court in South Dakota if I move?

Yes, if you won’t be getting mail at your old address. The court that gave you your protection order needs to have an up-to-date address for you at all times. That’s because they will communicate with you only by mail if anything happens to your protection order- for example, if the abuser asks the court to dismiss the order or if your order is changed in any way. If you will not be receiving mail at your old address, it may be a good idea to provide the court with a new address where you can receive mail.

If you provide your new address to the court, they will keep it confidential. However, your new address could possibly be released to court officials in your new state or law enforcement officials in either South Dakota or your new state. If you feel unsafe giving your new address, you can use the address of a friend you trust or a P.O. Box instead. You may want to consider giving an address that is in a different state from the one you have moved to.