WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Alabama

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of September 1, 2023

What happens if I move?

Your Alabama PFA order is automatically good throughout Alabama and in all U.S. states and territories. The federal law provides what is called “full faith and credit,” which means that once you have a qualifying criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. Territories and tribal lands.  Different states have different rules for enforcing out-of-state protection orders - in some states, you need to register the order.  You can find out about your state’s policies by contacting a domestic violence program, the clerk of courts, or the prosecutor in your area.

You may also read more about the rules for your state on the Enforcing an Alabama Protection From Abuse Order in Another State page.

Note: PFAs may be enforceable on military bases, and military protective orders may be enforceable off base.  Please check with your local police department, court clerk, and/or domestic violence advocate for more details.  Please see our Military Protective Orders page for more information.