WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal

Domestic Violence in the Military

View all
Laws current as of June 21, 2024

I am experiencing abuse in my relationship. How do I get help in the military system?

The military uses a coordinated community response model (CCR), which brings together everyone who has an interest in an incident of abuse or neglect to improve interagency coordination. The goal is that the victim will be provided support and resources in addition to what the Family Advocacy Program (FAP) staff provide.  FAP takes a holistic approach when working with those impacted by domestic abuse. The FAP provides clinical and non-clinical support services for victims, abusers, and children impacted by domestic abuse. Services include victim advocacy, support, risk assessment, safety planning, treatment, counseling, and case management services.1

If you are experiencing domestic abuse you may be eligible for FAP services if you and the abuser are:

  • current or former spouses;
  • current or former intimate partners who have a child in common or live(d) together; or
  • current or former dating partners.2

Note: The services available to dating partners may be limited.

If none of these apply to you, FAP victim advocates may still provide risk assessment, safety planning, and offer information and referrals to help you access services offered in the civilian community.1

To find a domestic abuse advocate in your local area go to, the DoD Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator on Military OneSource. To read more about the FAP, go to The Family Advocacy Program and Confidentiality.

1 Department of Defense website, Family Advocacy Program
2Family Advocacy Program Overview, “Eligibility requirements” section