Legal Information: Federal


View all
August 15, 2022

If the battered spouse or child waiver is approved, how soon can I apply for citizenship?

You can apply for citizenship once you have been a permanent resident for a total of three years. This three-year period includes the time when you were a conditional permanent resident. Depending on when you file your battered spouse or child waiver and how long your case is pending, you may be eligible to apply for citizenship once the waiver is approved or even before then.1

1 See the USCIS website

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.