WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal

Domestic Violence in the Military

View all
Laws current as of October 9, 2019

What can I do if I am not granted an MPO?

Usually, commanders will issue a military protective order (MPO) if the Family Advocacy Program (FAP) recommends it as part of its safety and risk assessment. However, if you are not granted an MPO, you may still be eligible for a civil protection order issued by the civil court in the state where you live.

Unlike civil protection order proceedings, there is no appeals process in the military if you are denied an MPO or if you disagree with the decision of the commanding officer. You may seek assistance in a variety of ways if the MPO is denied, and you may continue to inform the commander of further abuse, but you cannot “appeal” the decision.

Visit our Restraining Orders page to find out if you may be eligible for a civil protection order.