WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: General


April 27, 2023

I think that I might meet the requirements to transfer my custody case to a new state. Where do I begin?

If you believe that your situation may come under the laws explained above, we strongly suggest talking to an attorney in the original state where the order was issued as well as in your current state for help in filing the appropriate legal papers. Go to our Finding a Lawyer page for legal referrals.

If you cannot find an attorney, and you would like to talk more with WomensLaw about your particular situation, you can email us on our Email Hotline and we can see if there is any further information we can provide.