WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Illinois

Restraining Orders

View all
January 23, 2024

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Illinois?

Generally, only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. 

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page in the state from which you moved.

If your order does expire while you are living in Illinois, you may be able to get a new one issued in Illinois but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Illinois. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Illinois, visit our Illinois Steps for getting an order of protection.