WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Illinois

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
January 23, 2024

How do I change or extend my order of protection?

Changing your order
To try to change (modify) your order, you will have to go back to the court where the order was issued and file a petition to modify the order with the clerk of court.

You can file to modify an emergency, interim, or plenary order of protection.  If the respondent has abused you since the hearing for your order, you can add or change one or more of the terms (protections) in the order.1  However, even without further abuse, you can file to modify the order to add protections in certain circumstances.2  Note: To read about under what circumstances an order can be modified without further abuse, go to our Selected Illinois Statutes page and read subsection(b) of section 60/224.

Either you or the respondent can also file to modify decision-making responsibilities, parenting time, and/or support payments that were included in the order of protection.3

Extending your order
Any emergency, interim or plenary order may be extended one or more times, as necessary.4  If you want to extend your order of protection, you must apply for an extension as part of a motion to modify the order before your original order expires.  In your motion, you would state the reason for the requested extension and you will verify that there has been no important (material) change in relevant circumstances since the order was issued.  If the abuser does not fight (contest) your motion for an extension and you are not asking to change the order, the order can be extended based on your motion.4

1 750 ILCS 60/224(a)(1)
2 750 ILCS 60/224(a)(2)
3 750 ILCS 60/224(b)
4 750 ILCS 60/220(e)