WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Religious

Abuse in the Jewish Community

Updated : 
August 7, 2018

What if my husband refuses to give me a “get?” What can the wife do?

If your husband refuses to give you a get, speak to your rabbi. He or she may be able to convene a beit din (rabbinical court) and issue a seruv (decree) against your husband. Your rabbi may also be able to get the community to pressure him to give a get. You may also want to contact an organization which assists in Jewish divorce. These organizations provide women with legal counsel and with therapists trained to help victims of domestic abuse. You can also read What kinds of actions might a community take against a “mesarev get?” about what kinds of actions a community can take against a husband who refuses to give a get (mesarev get). You or other members of the community, may be able to get the community to take the actions described against your husband.

However, you may want to talk to a domestic violence advocate before participating in any community actions to try to make a plan that will keep you safe from your husband.

You can find advocates in your area at Advocates and Shelters. You can find tips on how to make a safety plan to keep yourself safe from an abuser at our Safety Tips pages.