WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Religious

Abuse in the Jewish Community

Updated : 
August 7, 2018

What is a “get” or “sefer k’ritot?”

A get is a religious divorce under halacha (Jewish law), and can only be given by a husband to a wife. The word can also refer to the paper that officially gives a get. This is a sefer k’ritot (scroll of severance). The sefer k’ritot is a “no-fault” document and does not list any specific reasons for the divorce. A sofer (scribe) writes it out specifically for the couple involved.