WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

About Abuse

Male Victims

August 23, 2023

Can I file for a restraining order against my abusive partner?

One tool that can be helpful when any victim is trying to escape from domestic violence is a restraining order, also known as a protection order, injunction, etc. A restraining order can provide many forms of protection and can order an abuser to:

  • stop all contact;
  • stay away; 
  • leave the home; and
  • do, or stop doing, other things ordered by the judge to keep you safe.

Anyone can file for a restraining order if s/he has been the victim of one of the qualifying acts of abuse included in the state’s laws. You can look for the legal definition of domestic violence in your state in our Restraining Orders section.

If you have specific questions about your state’s laws or your legal situation, you can reach us through our Email Hotline.

Where can I receive help and support?

If you are an abuse victim, please ask for help. No one should have to be afraid or feel unsafe in his or her relationship.

In general, local domestic violence organizations provide services to all survivors/victims of domestic violence, including male victims. Most organizations provide services regardless of actual or perceived sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, or ability/disability. If you are unable to find an organization that is a good fit for you, you may want to consider contacting the domestic violence coalition in your state. They can try to help refer you to services that may better suit your needs.

There are also a few national organizations that were established to help men, specifically; see our National Organizations - Male Victims page.