WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Religious

Abuse in the Jewish Community

August 7, 2018

Who may need a "get?"

Any Jewish person who has been married to another Jew of the opposite sex is eligible to receive a get. If you are a Jewish person who married someone who is not Jewish or married someone of the same sex, you are not eligible to receive a get and do not need one to be considered divorced.

If you are a Jewish person who did not have a religious marriage or were married by an official of another religion (for example, in a Unitarian, Episcopal, Methodist, Baha’i, Buddhist, or Hindu ceremony), you are still eligible to receive a get if your spouse is Jewish by birth. This is because halacha (Jewish law) accepts a marriage as valid once it has been performed, even if it was made without signing a ketubah (Jewish marriage contract).